19 February 2006

discriminating tastes

This wouldn't happen if I didn't insist on watching sports on t.v. But like most mortals, a trip to Torino just wasn't in the cards. So I end up watching things like the "I'm the man" commercials VW is using to pimp their GTI. In both versions of the commercial, a male driver listens to his GTI's inner robot as it directs him to behave like a sexist creep to his girlfriend, by refusing to close the windows so that he can "hear the engine" or by refusing to let her come along because the car presumably doesn't want the estrogen burden. Driving my own GTI VR6 (similar to turbo, gives the engine the special sauce that makes acceleration fun), I get the whole "listen to the engine" thing (I even keep the music low to hear it) and admit to the preference of keeping the weight down (am loath to cart around all that kitty litter we've been meaning to bring into the house). It goes without saying that a car cannot discriminate according to gender; so why does VW feel the need to do so?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home